Sunday, June 09, 2013

Korea Travelogue: Day 7 - Siloam Sauna and more shopping in Myeongdong!


Update Feb 2015: I've moved my blog over to paulalogy.com. Hop on over there for my trip to Korea in Dec :)

Day 7 itinerary

  • Siloam Sauna
  • 홍기와집 (Lunch)
  • Myeongdong (MORE SHOPPING!)
2 more entries till I end this Korea Travelogue series D:
Do check out the other days' itineraries if you haven't! 
So Day 7 was a chillax day. I think we were extremely sleep deprived by then that my eyebags grew bigger and bigger as the days progressed.
I'm fairly amazed I managed to stay awake and not grumpy cos I'm the sort who requires at least 10 hours of sleep a night to function well.
But sad to say that kind of life does not exist anymore T.T
We headed to Siloam Sauna at Seoul Station after we woke up.
Gave up on putting any form of makeup (not even contact lenses were worn) and just went there with half-closed eyes.

Directions 
You may look at the map from the website and try to navigate there but here's how we went. Exit at Exit 1 of Seoul Station and walk up the stairs towards Lotte Mart. Instead of turning right to the mart, walk straight ahead till you reach a flight of stairs going down. Walk down and then turn right, following the pathway till you reach the traffic light junction. You should see a Kimbab Heaven opposite before you cross the traffic light to know if you're on the correct path. Next just cross the road and take a left turn. Walk ahead till you spot the sign on your right. Follow the signs and you should reach the sauna in a jiffy! :D

You should see this sign!

Entrance

 
This place is a mini mall please. Food, karaoke, gym, bath, sleeping areas. Everything also have lol



Our first stop: FOOOOOOOODDDDDDDD!
Only the 3 hungry pigs Lirong, Juyin and myself ordered LOL


 
While waiting for our food


Yup, our breakfast HAHAHHA

Looks yummy? ^^

Yup after filling our tummies, time to sleep explore the different sauna rooms.
I think I fell asleep at some point cos I was damn tired :(

 
The -14 degree celsius room LOL

 

Group shot! :D

Bought 2 different types of eggs. Sea salt is provided. To be honest there's no difference in the taste between either eggs leh.

They attempted to crack the eggs like what Running Man did. I just.. sat there and laughed at them LOL!

 

Evil Lirong heheheh

We stayed a good 3 hours there just nua-ing and lazing around.
Didn't go for the public bathhouse because the girls were very shy then I was like... Ok I'll act shy too hahaha!
I did try it the previous time I went in 2011 and it was quite an eye opener.
Clearly their culture is that they have no qualms walking around stark naked (gender segregated of cos!) even in the changing room O.O
So next stop was to Hongdae once again because the girls wanted to have samgyetang 삼계탕 and we went here because we followed ladyironchef's geo-tag on his recent trip to Seoul in April 2013.
Restaurant was a quaint little place called 홍기와집 or Hong Gi Wa Jib.

Directions
Take the subway to Hongdae Station. Take Exit 8 and turn right when you come out of the station. Walk straight all the way till you reach a roundabout and head towards your 2 o'clock direction. The restaurant should be on your right! :)

Address for your reference: 347-29 Seogyo-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea

 


 
We ordered the seafood pancake, samgyetang and gamjatang!


Gamjatang 감자탕 small portion

 
The samgyetang on the right

Seafood pancake 해물파전


All of us agreed that the samgyetang was very disappointing and the seafood pancake was awesome!!! :D
The meat of the chicken was very tough and the glutinous rice was under cooked :(
SADDED T.T but the pancake really made up for it! thank goodness lol.
The gamjatang was very nice too (btw it's pork my dear friends)
Afterwards we headed back to Myeongdong because they wanted to shop some more! LOL.
#trueblueshopaholics
But we got waylaid by street food outside the restaurant so fat die us, we ate again.

Hotteok and Gyeranbang (Egg bread)!

Gyeranbang 계란빵


Hotteok 호떡

I finally ate my hotteok! I was searching high and low for it everywhere because it is so yummy!
We saw a shop in Bukchon selling it and there was a humongous queue for it as well so we gave up.
Then when we went back the other day the store was closed for renovations till Sept -.-" NO FATE.
Ok, I digress. We headed back to Myeongdong for more shopping!

T.T after buying so much the day before now then have sale wtf

I wanted to drink bubble tea so we went to buy Quickly!
The last time I had Quickly was soooooo long ago in Singapore! :(
This outlet is located in Myeongdong, towards Shinsaegae that direction.
It's located next to Mr Pizza along the main road where Lotte and Shinsaegae are.



 
Both Juyin & I bought :D (See la forever both of us dying with fatness LOL!)

 
My Thai Milk Tea and Juyin's Taro Milk Tea

 

2NE1!!!!!! Unnie ya!!!!!!

After that it was a mess cos some of us separated while I went to SPAO to grab stuff for my family i.e. clothes. HAHAHA cannot go home emptyhanded, wait kena scolding lol.

Marvel Collaboration with SPAO

OPPPPPPAAAAAAAS! :D

I met up with my friend Hyunju afterwards to have dinner.
She treated me to 'kalguksu' or 칼국수 and some dumplings at this place within Myeongdong.
I've never tried the noodles before but it tastes like ban mian to me hahah.
Quite nice actually and this place actually allows you to add more noodles if you want some more.
Free flow! Good right?

Water Dumplings 물만두

My 칼국수

We went shopping afterwards at the stores around because it was funny to have just the 2 of us in a noraebang 노래방 (karaoke) which was originally the plan but the girls didn't want dinner and they couldn't read Korean so both of us just decided to hang out and have fun.

Trying on this blazer in some store but I didn't get it in the end LOL

Gonna end this abruptly because that's all for the day!
I headed back to the guesthouse myself while Hyunju went back to Incheon where she stays haha.
Till the next time friend! :)
Stay tuned for Day 8's post. We went to a wholesale fisheries market homggggggg.
BYE!

12 comments:

Jessica said...

Hi Paula

Do you have direction to this 'kalguksu' or 칼국수 your friend brought you? The water dumpling looks interesting.

Thank you.

Paula said...

Hi Jessica

I don't really remember the directions to here but it's called 'kkobuli kalguksu' with a Skechers store diagonally across it! I remember it being in one of the smaller alleys near Clio. Maybe you can look out for it!

Jessica said...

Hi Paula

I am back from Seoul for coming 2 months and I would like to thank you for recommending Siloam Sauna to me.

I had a great time there and I can finally understand why you spent almost a day there. Sadly I do not have the time to do the same as you because mine is a 5 days stay unlike yours which is 9 days. But I will cater for it on my next trip.

Also, I tried the kkobuli kalguksu. It tasted totally different from Myeongdong Dumpling. It is really diagonally across Sketchers, thank you for your direction. I really envy your great memory!

Jessica said...

Hi Paula

I am back from Seoul for coming 2 months and I would like to thank you for recommending Siloam Sauna to me.

I had a great time there and I can finally understand why you spent almost a day there. Sadly I do not have the time to do the same as you because mine is a 5 days stay unlike yours which is 9 days. But I will cater for it on my next trip.

Also, I tried the kkobuli kalguksu. It tasted totally different from Myeongdong Dumpling. It is really diagonally across Sketchers, thank you for your direction. I really envy your great memory!

Jessica said...

Hi Paula

Thank you for recommending Hotteok at Bukchon. I tried it, it was very delicious. I could have it every day if it was near where I was staying.

But according to the Red Tour Guide, it has shifted to a small alley branch out from the main road so you might want to take note when you return there. It used to be on the main road. It is a bright yellow store.

I guess it was difficult to find so there was no crowd. But I was happy because don't have to queue 1 hr for it. :D

Paula said...

Hi Jessica, glad to be of some help to enhance your Korean experience!

I hope when I go back again, the hotteok is there lol and I can finally try it :)

Thanks for telling me about your trip! :D

sun sun said...

Hi Paula,

I am interested going to Siloam Sauna, but i have a question, should we naked when stay inside the jimjilbang?

Thank you.

Paula said...

Hi Sunsun, only have to be naked in the bath areas. Other than that, please wear the attire provided lolol i.e. to the sauna rooms etc

Ronni Casillas said...

Siloam Sauna seems like the place to go for a good sweat! Thanks for sharing your views about it, as well as directions for those who may choose to visit anytime soon. Going to a spa is a relaxing experience, wherever you may be. It would also be best for us to indulge ourselves with a trip to the spa, especially after a strenuous activity. Cheers!

Ronni Casillas @ JNH Lifestyles

洁思林 said...

Hi Paula, may I know what is the rate per pax for the Siloam sauna ? 😊😊😊

Unknown said...

You are naked only when you are in the public bath and the locker room. Anywhere else you have to put on the outfit provided. The jjimjilbang is co-ed.

Đồ gia dụng said...

Thank you for sharing, if you are interested in health care products after birth please find out the information below


Chăn điện Hàn Quốc

Thảm điện 

Lều xông hơi 

Mua lều xông hơi ở đâu giá rẻ nhất

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...