Saturday, August 13, 2011

Harry Potter & Me

I'm going to dedicate this post to the Boy who lived my childhood with me for the past 10 years.
I'm probably like a month late with this post because the final installment was shown last month and obviously it was a success (I watched it twice btw) but better late than never hahaha.
Ok here goes Potterheads! :D


Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)


Harry discovers he's a wizard and goes off to Hogwarts while I'm stuck in P6 trying to tackle the equivalents of O.W.Ls (HAHAHA!) - PSLE. While he and Snape don't see eye to eye, I dislike my Chinese teacher as much as he hates Snape and what I would do to land my hand on a wand and Jinx my teacher. He takes on Voldemort at the end of first year while I finish my PSLE and manage to get to a good secondary school. Btw, I thought Daniel Radcliffe was damn cute and I wanted to date him (we're the same age!). At that point in my life, British men attracted me (yes,my Westlife phase then) and hence the attraction to Mr Harry Potter. Movie lived up to the hype and I absolutely loved the movie.


Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)


Harry's 2nd year at Hogwarts where he discovers that he's a Parseltongue. Oh, and a prick head for a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher (Gilderoy Lockhart). I'm a newbie in school, Sec 1, fresh out of primary school. School was now Crescent Girls' and I had my 1st BGR relationship that year. Oh and I joined NCC this year too. ZOMG SO MANY MONUMENTAL MOMENTS OF MY LIFE! He fights Voldemort again in the form of Tom Riddle while I fight against the Snooze Monster in classes. Of course, this year was when I could survive on $30 a week, managing to go to town for movies and eat at cafes/restaurants on that allowance. I still don't know how I did that. HONESTLY. Maybe that's why I discovered once during that year that I had $40 in my bank account, the lowest I ever had. Oh, I also got caught by the DM for using my hp (Nokia 8250) in class. Many firsts for me that year too.


Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)


Harry gets a werewolf for a teacher and he was the coolest one too. Totally loved this movie (My favorite!) because of all the family-related plots. I heart the godfather-godson relationship between Harry and Sirius throughout the series because it's just damn heartwarming la. Oh, Harry fights dementors off and learns the Patronus curse (my favorite spell too!). This was the year I entered upper secondary and the year Penny Ang joined Crescent. Another turning points of my life as well because life sucked doubly then. It was hell during E/A maths and Chem classes. My favorite subject then was Geog and Bio hahaha. I think if my Chem teacher knew I went on to major in Chem she'll prob like get a shock of her life or smth.


Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)


Ahhh, Harry's 4th year at Hogwarts started off with the Qudditch World Cup and finally the Triwizard Cup where we discovered a future heart throb (Cedric Diggory anyone?). If someone told me Robert Pattinson would end up being such a bloodsucker, I wouldn't have believed him. Because I thought he was quite ugly in the movie :/ And for the record, I wasn't expecting Edward Cullen to look like him also la. I sat for O levels that year. Another turning point of my life where I decided to go off to Poly and not JC because I was totally sick of the education system then. Irony how I'm now back in local university huh >.< This movie fell below my expectations because Harry looked really bad back then. Someone sack his hairstylist pls. I can totally imagine Daniel Radcliffe looking back at the pictures from this movie and go like FML TTM hahahaha!


Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)


Harry's into his 5th year at Hogwarts and truthfully, this is the movie that I have no impression of the plot because I didn't like this book at all. It made no sense and it was all angsty (Teenage rebellion perhaps?). Only thing I remembered from this was the stupid Prophecy and even reading the book once again made no sense. But I do remember watching this at the premiere cos I was working at E2Max then and we all had tickets :D And this opened on my birthday if I'm not wrong so I only remember going to watch this but not the plot hahaha! Oh and Dolores Umbridge hahaha! I only remember her cos Mas Wilson said one of our ibus looked like her xD


Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince (2009)


Harry's now a 6th year at Hogwarts and this was the year I entered NUS. I still don't have much memory of watching this but because I've been watching this on my flight to Taiwan recently, I know Snape got the Defense Against the Dark Arts post after so many years and Harry's in the Slug club. OH AND SNAPE KILLED DUMBLEDORE TMD!! I was uber sad when I read this in the books cos J.K Rowling was like killing off people slowly le :(


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 (2010)


The 2nd last movie of the entire series. I remember this the most because Lirong, Hidaya, Juyin and I watched this at 9am at Cine hahahahahahaah! It was reading week and we were like nvm let's go watch this then go mug after that. We didn't mug at all but one of my most memorable HP movies EVER! All of us even made Lirong call us all in case we woke up late cos the tix were all sold out >.< The whole cinema was full also btw. Everyone as crazy as us hahahaha! I went home and reread the book once again cos I don't remember shit.


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 (2011)


The final movie of the HP franchise. Everyone was like saying how sad it was and yet I didn't feel it. Even when watching it. I only remember from the books that Fred, Tonks and Lupin all died and the epilogue was the most epic one I've ever read. Ever. I highly recommend everyone go rewatch everything because this is our childhood man. Those growing up in the early 90s will definitely remember this. While I may not know much about all the recent remakes of childhood characters like Captain America or Thor, I can definitely tell my kids that I watched Harry Potter as a kid and totally loved it,books and movies alike (I will just give them the Twilight series' books). Hope J.K. Rowling writes another book on life after Voldemort dies hahaha! Or even better still, write about Harry and Ginny's kids! :D Maybe Voldemort had a secret illegitimate son or smth and he was trying to take over the wizarding community again hahahaha!
Oh wells, till then, thank you dear Harry for accompanying me through these 10 years.
May you, Ron, Hermione and Ginny live happily ever after.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...